Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Misfit


I have decided today to post a poem that my Mother wrote for me when I was young. I think it is probably the only thing my Mother ever gave me that I have actually cherished this much. This picture was of me probably a few years before the poem was written but I don't have many pictures of myself. Hope it doesn't bore you too much but today for some reason I have that misfit feeling. Guess there are times in your life when you just don't know where you fit in. I thought those times ended with you were a child but in reality I don't think they ever end or go away. We just learn to put them aside for the moment.

THE MISFIT


I'm always too young
when the praises are sung
or else I'm too old
for my Mother to hold.

Too young for long pants, or heels
a disgrace to my family at all meals.
Still I'm too old for dolls and toys
and it isn't ladylike to play with the boys.

I'm too young to go out on a date
Just be patient, Mom says learn to wait.
I'm much too old for a coloring book
Father says, it's time instead I learned to cook.

I'm way to young to drive the car
but Dad says, I'm the best car washer by far.
I'm far to old to sit on Mom's lap,
so I must be the most unusual child on the map.

I'm too young to watch the late TV show
also too old to watch Captain Kangaroo, you know.
Now how in the world can I tell
Just when I'm too young or too old?----WELL!

By Louise Savage Browning




1 comment:

BloodRedRoses said...

Your mother had a great way with words! I would definately cherish this as well...

 
ss_blog_claim=d1e2da3cdf1deb9b2f02e4f0a03dedf7