Monday, April 28, 2008

Guess what I want?

I wonder if my daughters will get the idea what I would love to have for my Mother's Day/Birthday this year? I have never had a real pearl necklaces. Well, heck I have never had a real pear anything. Unless you count the one pearl that I got when I opened the tin can and the oyster shell that my parents brought me back from Hawaii years and years ago. Nope I don't think that counts as having real pearls. I have to figure out how to give them the hint that they need to check out this great web site I found for Pearls.
Until I found this site I never knew there were so many kinds of pearls. I always knew that pearls came in different sizes but there are so many kinds to choose from. There are Tahitian, Akoya, Saltwater, Freshwater, just to name a few of them. Pearls would also make a terrific wedding gift to give the bride to be a pair of Pearl earrings to wear on her very special day. The growing of pearls is much more complicated that it used to be years ago. Then they just left it up to the wild oysters to grow the pearl and they would harvest them. Now, it is a fine science, skilled technicians open the live pearl oysters carefully, then surgically implant a small polished shell bead and piece of mantle tissue in each. Then it is back to the sea or freshwater what ever the case may be. Then from time to time the pearl-bearing oysters are lifted out of the sea to clean and for various health treatments. Seaweed, barnacles and other undersea growths that might prevent feeding are removed from their shells. Then the shells are treated with medicinal compounds that discourage parasites from injuring the oysters. Finally it is time for the oysters to be harvested. The ones that have survived all of the perils of the sea such as typhoons, red tides, and attacks from various predators are brought ashore and opened. If all has gone well, the result is a beautiful, lustrous and very valuable pearl. Wow that is what goes into getting the pearl then they have to turn it into various types of jewelry. Now I understand why pearl jewelry is so valuable and so desirable to own.






No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d1e2da3cdf1deb9b2f02e4f0a03dedf7