Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stress on children

Well, the grandchildren have two more days of testing this week. Here in Florida they refer to these tests as FCAT, don't ask me what that stands for because you would not like the words that I would probably create for it. They had testing 3 days last week on math and reading. If they don't pass the reading portion of the testing they do not pass third grade. It doesn't matter if they have actually earned straight A's all year if they don't pass this test they fail. I know speaking for me if I had to have taken this test in 3rd grade I would now be the oldest third grader on record. I was one of those people who do not always test well. I could know something backwards and forwards but put the test in front of me and I turned stupid and my brain turned into jello. Well my granddaughter bless her heart has inherited that trait from me. I mean why couldn't she have gotten my good looks or my beautiful figure. OK, no comments from anyone. But back to the issue you would not believe the stress that the teachers and schools put on these children. I have several friends who are teachers and they all tell me that all the schools do now is to teach the FCAT. My grandchildren have not had any spelling words, science or several other things for weeks because all they have been doing is reading and math. But my granddaughter especially has been so stressed out for the last few weeks it is horrible. I wish they would just let them be kids for a while longer. There is enough stress in our lives when we become older as it is.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d1e2da3cdf1deb9b2f02e4f0a03dedf7