Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Computer Tech Support

Now that has to be the biggest joke of the century. The other day I put a CD into my drive on my laptop and I could hear it turning but nothing happened. So being the computer tech I am I put in another CD to see what would happen..... Nothing so then I put a DVD in and still I could hear it turning but again nothing happened. So I contacted my trust computer tech support because I am still under warranty for another month.

Well, after being on a online chat with a tech support person. They e-mailed me instructions on how to remove my CD drive and reinstall it to see if that would start it working????? OK, so I followed the instructions and again nothing happened. So back online with the trust support tech and after explaining everything in great detail they tell me that they will be happy to send me a new CD/DVD drive and that I then will install it myself and return the bad drive all within 15 days or they will charge the credit card # I had to give them for the part.

The part came yesterday and I came right up to put it in. No problem I am an old pro at this right now. I come upstairs and take out the old CD/DVD drive with my trusty little screw driver and my high tech paper clip. Then I put in the new drive and piece of cake I am one micro mini screw away from success. Nope not to be my day. I try to put the teenie screw into the little thingie on the end of the CD/DVD drive and can you believe it the holes don't match up. OK, no problem I get back on the stupid computer tech chat thing again with yet again another person. I explain my situation to this "Tech" person and after sitting there for over 15 minutes waiting for his reply I finally say "Are you still there" he says yes please wait..... What does he think I have been doing for 15 minutes. But what choice do I have but to sit and wait. When he finally comes back he tells me he is going to send me a pick up package. I said a pickup package for what and he says for your laptop. After having a mild stroke I tell him no way am I sending my laptop of to California it is just not going to happen. I then start trying to breath a little deeper and ask him what they are going to do with my laptop in California. He proceeds to tell me they will make the drive fit my computer but at the same time they will completely reformat my hard drive and that I should save anything I want saved because it will return to me in it's brand new original state. There is no way I am going to let this happen.

So while he is chatting with me I happen to look at the disc that I just took out and realize that the little tab is attached with two very very very tiny tiny tiny screws and so is the other one. The two holes match up perfectly. So I remove the tabs from both drives and transfer the one from the old drive to the new drive and much to my amazement I turn the laptop over and am able to put the little screw in and I am back in business. Plus, after all of this I am very amazed that I did not have to reformat my entire hard drive. I was very proud to say the least that I am smarter than the tech support people assigned to instruct me. I wasn't going to give you the name of the company but I finally decided what the hey. If I had good service I would be happy to tell you and I got bad service so what the hey. The company I was dealing with was HP. I have a Compaq Presario laptop. I had to fight with them several months ago because I called them for something and they told me I needed recovery disc's but my laptop was not under warranty. I had to e-mail them copies of my receipt for them to give me the warranty I was supposed to have or else this would not have been covered by the warranty.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d1e2da3cdf1deb9b2f02e4f0a03dedf7